The department has responsibility to do the following:
- Formulating the security policy/strategy of the University of Nairobi
- Management and co-ordination of the security network in the entire University of Nairobi and liaison with other UoN officials.
- Taking all necessary steps to detect and prevent crime incidents, and apprehension of offenders.
- Administration of all campus security personnel and matters affecting security.
- Ensure that the Vice Chancellor is fully informed of matters relating to crime, security and incidents.
- Directing inquiries into matters of criminal nature, and maintaining contacts with external security forces in matters relating/of crime and other incidents.
- Maintaining close contacts with other departments of the University, good industrial relations within the security team, and with other employees of the UoN.
- Maintenance of good public order in the entire University.
- To identify and ensure the training needs of the security team are addressed, including ensuring the team is well drilled and fit to conduct tasks assigned to them.
- Investigation into traffic/occupational accidents occurring within the UoN.
- Investigation of misuse or loss of UoN property or facilities.
- Manage personnel affairs for all security staff in the University in liaison with Administration Registrar.