Since its inception in 1968 as a section within Estates department, the security department has achieved several milestones over the years.
- First, it was made an independent department headed by a Chief security officer in 1978 due to an increase in number of crimes and student riots. This saw the employment of more security personnel to deal with the security matters.
- In 2016, it was elevated to a directorate headed by a Director who is a Phd holder. The department boasts of several degree holders including one more Phd holder other than the director. In the day to day running of security operations,the director is assisted by campus security chiefs who report directly to him.
- In 2011, management recognized the importance of the department and posted an administrator in the level of Assistant registrar to deal with administrative issues.
- The department has so far digitized radio communication system between campuses including Mombasa and Kisumu campuses. The security personnel can now relay information promptly, clearly and in real time.
- The department has also installed CCTV systems in several buildings notably Uon Tower, JKML, former administration building among others.
- The department has outsourced security services to compliment internal security team. This ensures that the whole institution is adequately manned day and night.