Surveillance is a careful observation of a person, group, place, vehicle or a thing, undertaken in a secretive manner.
Surveillance is valuable investigative tool that can provide information about the activities and identities of individuals. To carry out a successful surveillance security personnel must be alert, discreet and cautious. Surveillance requires great patience, versatility, careful observation skills and a good memory.
The Purpose of Surveillance
- Gather information to develop criminal complaint.
- Detect or prevent a crime.
- Locate a wanted fugitive.
- Learn about various contacts and associates of a particular suspect or group.
- Gain information sufficient to establish probable cause for issuance of search warrant or arrest warrant.
- Discover the activities and movements of suspected individuals.
- Verify statements made by witnesses or informants.
- Observe known members of terrorists’ organizations.
- Recover a stolen property.
- Intercept criminals in the act of committing a crime.
- Prevent a crime from being committed.
- Develop intelligence on criminals and criminal organization.
- Obtain information to use in interrogation.