The contents of your workplace first aid kit should be guided by your first aid needs assessment, this should take into account the level of hazards, workplace environment and number of employees.
A basic workplace first aid kit should include:
- Plasters: used for small cuts and grazes.
- Dressings: used to apply pressure to larger wounds and help to stop bleeding.
- Bandages: used to support joints, hold dressings in place, put pressure on wounds and to stop swelling.
- Scissors: used to cut bandages or sticky tape or someone’s clothing if you need to get to a wound.
- Disposable gloves: used to reduce the risk of infection.
- Face shields or pocket masks: used to prevent infection when you give rescue breaths.
- Cleansing wipes, alcohol free wipes: used to clean the skin around the wound.
- Adhesive tape: used to hold dressings or the loose end of bandages in place.
- Foil blankets: used to help retain body heat in survival, emergency and first aid situations.
Unsure what first aid kit you need?
Use our requirements calculator to help figure out the first aid needs of your workplace. It will provide guidance on how many first aiders and first aid kits you require.
Please note, the calculators are for guidance only and do not replace the need for a full first aid needs assessment in your workplace.
Workplace first aid kits
Use your risk assessment to identify which first aid kit you need. It will depend on your type of workplace (whether it is high-risk, such as a warehouse, or low-risk, such as an office), and how many people the first aid kit is for.
Some workplaces will require specialist first aid kits. For example, if you work in a catering environment, a catering first aid kit will contain blue plasters and tape to be easily visible.